Tu byłem. Tony Halik
Rok wydania: 2005
The Allgemeines Künstlerlexikon (AKL), a once-in-a-century work in itself and unique in its comprehensiveness and academic authority, is by no means limited to only the most famous artists: artists all over the globe from Easter Island to Tokyo and throughout the ages from antiquity to the present are recorded in this major lexicon. And - as the title of the work indicates - it contains not only painters, sculptors, and architects, but gives equal weighting to marble artists, restorers, and calligraphers, or craftsmen such as instrument makers, ivory artists, and screen printers, just to name a few out of many hundreds of artistic professions found in the AKL. Its academic advisory board and independent editorial staff guarantee excellent quality of information. Fundamental to this standard are, of course, stringent selection criteria for choosing contemporary artists, precise academic treatment of detailed entries, and inclusion of the most recent research findings in art history. Only a work which is still - in active exchange with art historians all over the world - being published, can offer all this. It goes without saying that the abundance of information contained in each entry is clearly arranged according to a detailed and intelligible structure.
Every entry offers the following clearly structured information:
* The names of the artist, including all various forms of the names by which he or she was known. These variations can be found again under their own entry, cross-referenced back to the main entry. Pseudonyms, maiden names, or names previously wrongly-attributed are thus deciphered.
* The dates of birth and death of the artist and distinguishing art historical characteristics.
* Information regarding the influence of this artist on his or her cultural environment.
* A selection of the artist`s works with their locations: museums in which paintings and figures are found, cities in which architectural monuments stand, sites and squares in which sculptures are located.
* A selection of exhibitions on the artist.
* Detailed listings of the artist`s autobiographical and other writings.
* An extensive bibliography including details such as other reference works in which entries for this artist can be found, thus making the development of research leading up to the entry in the Allgemeines Künstlerlexikon easy to follow. Also, unprinted sources or those not available through the book trade, such as exhibition catalogues, are listed.
* A signatory which refers to the name of the author (respectively, the editor) at the end of every entry.
* An index of editors, an index of authors, an index of the lexicon`s international advisory board, instructions to the user, and various indexes of abbreviations at the front of each volume.
No comparable work exists whose information on artists throughout the world and from every age is as extensive, up-to-date, and authoritative as that in the Allgemeines Künstlerlexikon.
The AKL ist supplemented by an indispensable research and index tool on CD-ROM: The Allgemeines Künstlerlexikon - World Biographical Dictionary of Artists.
This CD-ROM is updated regularly and contains the biographical structural data of artists contained in the Thieme-Becker, Vollmer and in the published volumes of the AKL. Additionally, you have access to the complete articles of those published AKL volumes.